University of California, Riverside

Summer Study Abroad

Preparing for Departure

 Are you ready to make this a great adventure?

Every participant in the Summer Study Abroad program is required to have a current Passport. If you do not have a Passport, it has expired, or it is due to expire prior to or during your travel, you need to initiate the process immediately. Passports take approximately 6 weeks to process. Applying for a Passport will require an original/certified birth certificate and/or other identity certification documents. To initiate this process, go to a main U.S. Post Office or visit the Web site  DO NOT DELAY IN PROCESSING YOUR PASSPORT!

If you are local to the UC Riverside campus, please look forward to participating in an Orientation a few weeks prior to leaving on your Summer Study Abroad program. The orientation will include information by the faculty, the UC Riverside Health Center, the campus Student Judicial Affairs department, and the Summer Sessions office. The date for the Pre-Departure Orientation has not been scheduled yet; please visit the Pre-Departure Orientation page periodically for updates on this event. 

CHECK OFF LIST Checklist with pen and first option checked
Whether you are a seasoned traveler or this is your first trip, we strongly recommend that you create a "check off" list to help you get everything done and cut down the stress of remembering to do everything before you leave. Five weeks can be a long time to be away from your regular routine and personal responsibilities, so we've compiled a list that you might find helpful as you create your own:

                                                                                                                                       back to top

inform roommates and landlord of absence and settle monthly rent/expense contributions in advance to avoid late fees
reroute or stop mail delivery until after you return
contact the utilities companies to avoid getting services turned off
many U.S. cellular phone services DO NOT work outside of the United States. If you want to use a cell phone during your trip, you can either rent one on site (usually at the airport) or contact your cell phone provider. You may also choose to buy an international phone card to use at public/dorm/hotel room phones.
set up a "phone tree" system to limit the amount of phone calls you make back home
contact your personal physician to inform him of your intended travel location and length of time away to receive proper endorsement, treatment, and/or medication to last throughout your travel
if you own a pet, be sure to have someone lined up to provide care
if you own plants, be sure to have someone lined up to provide care
inform your bank of possible charges from overseas
set up an "emergency" protocol system (you designate one person to receive a call who will contact others.)
suspend newspaper, subscriptions, club deliveries until after your return
contact lenders to settle monthly payments in advance to avoid late fees
if you belong to a gym or have other memberships, contact them to settle payments in advance to avoid late fees or cancellations
make a copy of your Passport and other important information before departing with them; leave these copies with whomever you may call in the event of an emergency
you will need 4 photographs of yourself (2 for your passport and 2 for the Summer Sessions Office). Please note the following criteria.

Your photographs must be:

  • 2x2 inches in size
  • Identical
  • Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
  • In color
  • Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
  • Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
  • Taken in normal street attire
    • Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except religious attire that is worn daily.
    • Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline.
    • If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture.
    • Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required.

                                                                                                                                       back to top 

As we want to ensure your safety and security while traveling with us, we strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the potential dangers of studying abroad. Before your departure, please review the U.S. Department of State's website for information regarding safe travel for students participating in study abroad programs.  A student-focused website has been set up by the U.S. Department of State for traveling students:  A free "Smart Traveler" app (free to download for iPhones) is also available to travelers wishing to access information on the State Department's travel website,, including...

  • Travel Alerts and Warnings
  • Maps
  • Embassy locations and directions
  • Information on entry and exit requirements
  • Customized e-itineraries
  • Option to sign up for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
  • and much more...

Please note that all participants are enrolled in STEP by the Summer Study Abroad Office.            

Although students will be enrolled in the University of California Travel Insurance Coverage, it is still recommended that students check with their personal health care provider to confirm that their coverage extends beyond U.S. borders during the time that they will be traveling. Although some health care expenses are covered under the UC Travel Insurance, we recommend that students notify their personal health care provider, and understand their coverage in the event of a medical emergency or illness.

Each student is expected to find their way to the program location by the first day of class. You may want to contact fellow participants for shared travel arrangements or to compare airfare. Due to the possibility of cancelled programs, it is recommended that students purchase refundable tickets.

*****Links on this page to non-affiliated websites do not represent endorsement by the University of California.*****

                                                                                                                                       back to top

NAFSA logo Member of
NAFSA: Association of
International Educators

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

UCR LibrariesCampus Status
Career OpportunitiesDiversity
Visit UCRMaps and Directions

Summer Study Abroad Information

UCR Summer Sessions and Special Programs
Summer Study Abroad
900 University Ave.
Surge 361
Riverside, CA 92521-0112

Tel: (951) 827-3044
Fax: (951) 827-7370

Related Links